Tuesday, July 14, 2009

BREAD!!

The Holy Grail. The sword of Ameterasu. The stone used to kill Goliath. None of these treasures compare to homemade yeast-free bread. With honey.

Thanks to FussyFoodie for supplying this recipe which I tweaked. Hers is gluten-free too, but luckily I don't have to worry about that.

My friends here in Japan loaned me their bread maker because they say they don't use it in the summer. They even found some old directions in English which instructed me to use the "Quick Bread" setting for yeast-free bread.

Enjoy!

  • 3 cups flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups liquid (i.e. milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc)
  • 1 small packet of oats (45 grams)
  • honey
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add liquids. Add enough honey for your liking (you can eat the dough because there are no eggs and it's safe!) and the oats and mix thoroughly. Grease a bread maker pan with an oiled paper towel (I used olive oil), because the bread will stick pretty fiercely otherwise, and place dough inside. Set the bread maker to a yeast-free setting (such as "Quick Bread") and enjoy in a couple of hours!

Pictures coming soon.

Mine keeps turning out like a cake, but then again, there's no yeast so I'm not sure if I'll ever remedy this problem. But it tastes fantastic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment